The best way to determine if you have a leak in your plumbing system is by first checking your water meter. Most meters are located in the ground in the front yard.
- Make sure NO water is being used inside or outside of your house
- Locate the water meter and check the leak indicator. This is a triangularly shaped dial or small silver wheel that rotate when water is flowing through the meter. If the dial is moving, chances are you have a leak.
- Take a meter reading and wait for one to two hours and take another meter reading. Again, make sure no water is used during this time. If the reading has changed, you have a leak.
- DETERMINE IF THE LEAK IS INSIDE OR OUTSIDE
- Locate your home’s main shut-off valve and shut off the water at the valve. You will usually find the shut-off valve in the garage directly behind an outdoor faucet, or outside below an outdoor faucet.
- AGAIN – check the leak indicator for movement or use the meter reading method, making sure NOT to use any water during this period. If the lake indicator stops moving or there is no change in the meter readings, then you have a leak INSIDE of the house. If the leak indicator continues to move or there is a change in the meter readings, then the leak is OUTSIDE between the meter and the house.
- If you are unable to locate the leak, you may need to call a plumber.